company
History
There is a long history behind one of the most ancient arts of the use of fire. The origins of Sediver date back to 1898. The first glass insulators were manufactured in 1929 by a specially incorporated company, Electro Verre.
In 1947, the application of the thermal toughening process to glass insulators resulted in a product offering exceptional performance, enabling the company to achieve international success.
Automated production lines were introduced ten years later, in 1957. This was followed in 1959 by the merger of Electro Verre and Charbonneux, which led to the creation of Sediver.
Having established itself in the French insulator market, the 1960s saw the company embark on its first international joint ventures. New products were launched during the 1970s, including a full range of composite insulators for power transmission lines and railway systems. Its Brazilian subsidiary, Electrovidro, was set up during this period.

The establishment of two joint ventures in China took place in 1993: Sediver Zigong, specialising in the assembly of glass insulators, and the Safam Zigong foundry, manufacturing malleable cast iron components. In October 2002, Sediver was taken over by Vetroarredo, a company with a young-sounding name, but with an equally long and prestigious history. Vetroarredo's origins date back to 1928 when, on the initiative of Prince Pietro Ginori Conti, the Istituto Sperimentale per lo Studio e l'Applicazione dei Prodotti del Boro e del Silicio was established in Florence. This institute played a leading role in developing one of the most demanding production processes in terms of quality: optical glass.

In 1940, the Institute became part of Italy's most important state-owned industrial group, IRI, which was involved in the manufacturing of optical products for the military on behalf of the Navy, and took on the name S.a.i.v.o., specializing in glass tiles (mosaics), ceramic enamel and tableware.

In 1990, Fidenza Vetraria, a long-established Italian producer of glass insulators, lighting glass and tableware, took the company private. From the 1920s on, Fidenza Vetraria had also begun producing a form of glass brick, better known as 'glass blocks' or 'reinforced cemented glass'. And the glass blocks have been in 1991 at the basis of the Vetroarredo "entrepreneurial adventure".

With unreserved determination, the new company achieved constant growth through a series of acquisitions and ongoing innovation.

During the 1990s, Vetroarredo acquired the lighting glass business of Vetrerie Lodi, a company with a hundred-year long history, and the Czech company, Vitrablok, a specialist glass block manufacturer, steeped in the bohemian glassmaking tradition. In order to broaden its coverage to others technical glass applications, in 2001 the company acquired the Italian firm, Dielve, a world-leading manufacturer of glass insulators for power transmission lines. This was the first step towards gaining leadership in this field too. The acquisition of Sediver, the world's number one producer of glass and composite insulators, led to the birth of the Vetroarredo Sediver Group, the industry leader that subsequently took on the name of Seves.